Blooming in Transparency before GODJESUS my Lord and Savior © All Rights Reserved -Anastasia Diamond
Making and Keeping Godly New Year’s Resolutions
Though we realize nothing supernatural actually occurs on January 1st, we none-the-less like the idea of and opportunity for new beginnings that come with a new year.
I have not found anything in the Bible that specifically speaks for or against New Year’s resolutions.
However, Philippians 4:13 declares: “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”
John 15:5 proclaims: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing.”
And, Psalm 37:4 promises: “Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
These scriptures remind us…
- It is God who empowers us. He grants us favor, and fulfills our inner most wants and needs when we joyfully abide in Him.
- God sustains us. We are completely dependent upon Him and truly productive only when we remain connected to Him, our source.
- We are able to accomplish everything in accord with God’s divine will, plan and purpose…when we submit our will to His.
A resolution is a determined decision in the form of verbal or written goals to make mental, emotional, physical, financial, or spiritual changes for the better.
What kind of resolutions
do Christ-followers make?
Are we making resolutions to change habits about smoking, drinking, weight lose, addictions, finances, family, relationships…or are we making vows and promises to God to increase our spiritual relationship with Him?
Even among Christians, the majority of New Year’s resolutions are mostly earthly, not spiritual. However, as you may expect, many Christians do make resolutions to attend church, pray, and read the Bible more often. Though truly wonderful goals, unfortunately, they are often broken as quickly as non-spiritual resolutions.
Whether earthly or spiritual, New Year’s resolutions have no value without having right motivation. Therefore, we must ask ourselves, why we want to make the change, and if the result will glorify God.
Stand close to God; with Him center in your New Year’s resolution. Be connected to the source of His perfect will for your life, spiritual growth, and earthly success in this coming new year.
- Pray for Holy Spirit wisdom and guidance in choosing Godly resolutions.
- Pray for discernment, knowledge and understanding in keeping your resolutions.
- Trust God’s strength and read His Word for encouragement.
- Seek a prayer/accountability partner who will come-alongside and encourage you to keep your resolutions with hope, faith and joyful expectation.
- Accept that you may have setbacks in keeping your resolutions, but a setback does not have to mean failure.
- Give God the praise and glory in all things.
May you have a joy-filled and truly blessed New Year. Travel ‘Light’ my dear friend.
Lovingly, in HIS name -Anastasia
**Click the links below for more New Years related posts on this blog**